twin towers

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Paper Cities

            I've always enjoyed the atmosphere of a college campus. I look forward to USC Homecoming night with my wife and Father-in-Law. It's amazing to see so many people putting their hands together for a particular team. I wouldn't trade the days we spent surfing Campus Point for anything. I clearly remember posing in front of Harvard's gate, pretending I was clever and entitled to membership. The remains of my art work continue to sleep in the bushes next to the lagoon. I'm reminded of bar-fights and bicycle crashes, as my roommate now lives two streets over. I sincerely loved college and college life.
           While running the paved pathways of New Mexico University's today, I recognized familiar faces. They were confident faces... they were faces of uncertainty. Their eyes were focused, yet free. Their posture told a story of risk versus gain. I knew these people- I was one of them before. Like them, I knew the definition of sacrifice. Our moods seemed to fluctuate with the economy.
            Ridefor9-11 has made me a student again. Most nights for me end in prayer, asking for strength to finish. I love Ridefor 9-11 for it's simplicity. We are just firemen riding our bikes to raise money for two causes. Although there are risks, I believe we will eventually gain from this experience. I think we all benefited from the ride into Albuquerque. We took turns sacrificing our bodies by riding out ahead and pulling so that others could rest. I believe these to be small victories in a large war. We've all worked extra time and burned vacation days to help pay for the trip so that one day, we can pedal our bikes into New York City in the name of those that have lost their lives.
           I like this part of the country. New Mexico is a patient State. I think you really have to know a lot about yourself and what you like to get what you want. For this, I have had an incredible time here. The firemen at Fire Station 13 treated us like their own. I find this to be rare these days. They were enthusiastic about our ride. They were eager to support us, going as far as making me tofu tacos. I learned of La Luz Trail from the same fireman that took a few riders to coffee the next morning. I learned of a few vegan joints from a local. Giuseppe cafe treated us like Kings since they offer discounts to those that ride their bikes to the place. We explained we had ridden from Los Angeles and they held to their word. While swimming with Scott this evening, we had a perfect view of the Sandia Mountain Range. The Mint Tulip was definitely a highlight for me. A trip to Whole Foods made me feel at home.
          My experience running La Luz Trail is indescribable. I was able to carve ridefor9-11 in a tree at the top with the hopes that a few people will ask themselves what it is and why it's on a tree at 11,200 feet. For me, the ride is about giving. That mountain gave me a lot to think about so it only seemed right. I was offered a free beverage at the top for my efforts and took the tram down in silence. Shortly after, I hitched a ride with a print-making student and her Dad back to the hotel. I'm glad I met them and I appreciated their service. It really was a day of giving. You have to be patient with New Mexico and it will love you.
          I'm excited to be on the bike again tomorrow. I will be riding for Kellie and Daniel Hames. I didn't have any money give them for my ride back to the hotel, so I'll ride for them as a thank you. I apologize for my shirt-less body and lack of directions. Who would of thought North Dakota residence could be so friendly. Thank you for dropping me off and not taking me to some creepy field and killing me.
          For those interested: YouTube.com/watch?V=AAnQFxP_Ssl     I have had this song on repeat for the entire trip.......
          
           
          

           
         

2 comments:

  1. Scott, this is Linda. I am glad you are doing well and having such a memorable experience. This has been very fun and interesting for me. I check the internet several times a day to see where you guys are and what has been written. I have even become a facebook stalker (as Casey calls it) so that I can see anything that is posted about your ride.

    Danelle calls mom daily and reads her the latest news. (My mom is very concerned about the heat - please take care.) You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sad & disappointed, that on a memorial drive for persons killed on 9-11, that you would kill a tree....which is exactly what you did by carving into the aspen in the picture. Think, man, think.....BEFORE you act. Lynn, Forest Service Volunteer

    ReplyDelete