twin towers

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Show Low / Quemada

      The last few days can be summed up by the title of a book I started today: The Story of the American West ... Told through the lives of Apaches, Mountain Men, Hispanics, Soldiers, Mormons, Cowboys, Blacks, Outlaws and others, who struggled in Arizona's White Mountains, one of the last untamed Regions of the West..... I have felt different since we left Scottsdale, AZ. For awhile I believed it was the "energy vortex" of the AZ mountains. I believed in red rock and it's power to heal. Although I enjoyed climbing through glorious Pine trees at 8,000 feet, I'm sure that wasn't it either. I have had moments of feeling brave and free, as the "Mountain Men" may have felt. It wasn't until we rode into Quemada, NM did I understand my new feeling. Like never before, did I realize that, in fact, I am American. I am also a Mormon. My Father-in-Law Eric explained that we are on "Mormon" soil on a Sunday. The book calls this land "untamed" and "fighting land". While on a run tonight, I had visions of Pioneers cresting the mountain range here in Quemada. I may never officially know the reasons for feeling different but I'm OK with that.
       If I had to pick a group to belong to from the book, I'd choose the Mountain Men. I would understand the land and know what berries to eat. I'd know my limits and strengths and use them to my advantage. I'd prefer to talk to myself or animals rather than humans as I would learn more. I'd know when and where to be so I'd have luck on my side. I'd protect my loot with a stare. My family would carve my name into a slab and call that mountain mine. I'd run shirtless for days and make my own clothes. I'd teach my kids to love themselves and be kind to others...... I think Mountain Men are both American and Mormon and this is the reason for my strange feeling.
       Placed high above customer's heads in the Largo Cafe, hangs a flag that identifies the names of those lost during 9-11. In my head, I heard Marv say that we wouldn't be at war if it weren't for 9-11. As other riders studied the flag, I studied their faces. This told me a lot about them. One of the best parts of this journey is observing.
        While on a run tonight, I gathered pictures and evidence hoping to take a piece of Quemada with me. I managed to bring back a horse shoe and necklace. I was a little nervous running the streets and trails alone as we sat next to a gentleman and his gun while we ate dinner. Quemada, NM and it's people are "untamed".
        Tonight I missed another Sunday dinner. I hope that my family understands. I pray Casey and kids get out early before the hair-pulling and scratching. This is a common theme for Steve and Sue's dinners.
        I rode my bike to Show Low for Beth and Roberta. As we climbed high above the tree line, I thought of their donations. Beth and Roberta both make me very happy because of their loyalty to my wife. I cannot wait to see Beth in New York. She was at the send-off as well. All things beautiful make me think of Beth and her Mom. It only seemed right to ride for them as we were headed into the trees and through some of the most beautiful country I've ridden through.
        Today, I rode for Laurie and Hannah Taylor. I knew today would be refreshing and it was. I don't know Laurie and Hannah all that well, but... I do know that when I see them and talk with them, it's refreshing. Thank you for your donations and support.
       I will be thinking of those who died while we continue our journey through the Mythical West.
 
     
 
      

2 comments:

  1. Best yet. Love and miss you, kiddo. Stay safe and stay strong. Love and peace. Do what you do best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scott - Hope you're doing okay. I would imagine that the couple days rest in Albquerque comes at a good time. I get to watch the kids tomorrow afternoon so that Casey can run. Give me a call when you have some time - would like to catch up. E.

    ReplyDelete