twin towers

Friday, July 29, 2011

Scottsdale

    The other day, I was told we picked the wrong time to cross the country on bike. "It would simply be too hot, too dry, and really uncomfortable... even dangerous" he said. I thought about the timing of things and how things unfold. I imagined 343 people sitting in a room taking a written exam. I could see them being interviewed and judged. I watched towers crush them. I wondered if there would ever be a "right" time. I've always had visions of soldiers with missing limbs and broken hearts. In fact, I have painted them. History tells us, there may never be a "right" time to be soldier or a fireman. However, I believe there is a perfect time ride a bike across the USA. For me, that time is now.
    I spent many hours yesterday riding behind Jimmy. I studied the paint on his bike frame to pass some time and became mesmerized by it's colors. My daughter and I have spent many nights selecting our favorite stars. She seems to like the ones that move. I do not know much about stripes other than firemen wearing them on their sleeve to show years on the job. Some sort of status, if you will. Wearing stripes or a letterman's jacket has never been my thing, but, I do think they have their place. I'm just not sure where. I like that my eyes see the stars.
    I will summarize yesterday by this: one flat, familiar faces, chiropractor, ice bath, Fire station 602, kind people, not so kind people, quinoa /black bean sliders, fro yo, thoughts of Sadona, cactus, sand and trains.
    Today went like this: sleep, Haus bike shop, Sola cafe, The Herb Box, familiar face, eager heart, clear mind.
    I saw my kids and wife through a MacBook screen today. I never thought I'd say it but.... it was awesome! I called her phone and she picked up out of breath. This too, was awesome!
    Tomorrow I ride for Dan Schwarz and his family. Not only is he my wife's uncle, he is local.. and he is awesome. He drove 30 miles tonight to visit us. He made me feel at home. I figure I should ride for him and his family tomorrow as we may need to call for directions. Thank You Dan for your donation and your support.
   
   

1 comment: