twin towers

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 2 and 3

     After sleeping in a museum full of reptiles, we were on our way to a very tough day through the desert. I’ve been through Landcaster and nearby parts, but... this was the “real” desert. Our team of riders made it through a 132 mile day with temps in the 111-117 range. It’s hard to explain what your feet can feel like riding through heat like that. I’ve always wanted to know, and now I do. Many stops were made to shower each other off as our core temps were way too high. I’ve always wanted to experience this also... now I have. We made to the Colorado River as a team. I would say this portion of the ride was a victory.
    I chose to ride for Kenny Perry that day. He was supposed to make it out and ride, but couldn’t due to other reasons. This surprised me a bit because he loves riding his bike. In fact, I think he rides more than anyone I know. I chose to ride for him because of his dedication to life. He’s a super busy guy, but always makes time to live. I get this in the sense that we should always make time to do what we love. The other reason for riding for him is the fact that I knew day 2 would be exceptionally hard do to the weather and terrain. I’m pretty sure this is the part of riding that he loves. He helped me get through a pretty long day in the saddle.
     Day 3 was/is today. Again super hot temps. !0 gallons of water and ice gone. I learned that cool black road shoes are not always the best option. Again, hard to explain the foot”thing”. I continue to have numbness and tingling in my left hand. Hand have started to blister. I am happy though. Despite the heat and nagging blisters/numbness, I had a good day of riding. Today was a 109 mile day which took somewhere around 6-7ish hours in the saddle. 
     I had a very enjoyable run after the ride that took me through some sweet Arizona ranch land. It felt really good to run again as this is what I love most. I ended up in a washed out river bed with super thick sand. I cannot say I’ve ever wanted to run in hot Arizona sand, but I did, and it was worth it. I like to be alone most days so this little bit made me comfortable again.
    Today, I rode for Aunt Donelle and Grandma. They seem to move through life with ease. By no means do these two people have lives without struggles. You’d never know it though. They are incredible human beings. To be honest, sometimes I have felt closer to God when I have talked with them. I’m drawn to them and i’m not sure they it... and i’m sure I haven’t told them this. I wanted to ride with ease today. The thought of them and their generosity made today perfect. It should’ve been a pretty hard day, but wasn’t. Today was like them.
      Tonight we are sleeping in a very old jail. I’m looking forward to this. I hope it’s my only night of sleep in a jail. Wickensburg Is pleasant. The fireman have been gentlemen. We ate at some bar/saloon deal and I ordered another salad. I seem to be getting the same response from town to town. It blows their minds. I like this part of the country and it’s feel. People seem to be happy and well fed. Actually, I can tell that most are very receptive to what we are trying to do.
       It’s 11 o'clock - I need to go to bed. My wife and kids are always on my mind. I brought some of my wife’s lotion on the trip to remind me of her scent. Pretty weird but, I’m gonna miss her. Last night I wore a bracelet to bed made by my daughter. It takes her an hour to make these things and you can imagine how long that must seem for a three year old. My kids and wife seriously make me cry. They make me feel special.
      Day 4 into Scottsdale, AZ I am riding for The Ae family who graciously donated to ridefor9-11. Tomorrow is a short 60 something miler, mostly down hill. Their donation brings me to my knees!
      Ridefor9-11.org for video and other stuff. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Scott,
    We are enjoying your very interesting blog. Thank you for your kind words. We feel like we're on the journey with you, except you are doing all the hard work. We think you are amazing! Keep up the great work. Our thoughts and prayers are with you every day.

    With love,
    Danelle & Grandma

    ReplyDelete